Home Get Started FSA Basics Use Your Money FAQs "How-To" Video
FSA BasicsGet StartedUse Your Money FSA Basics Get Started Use Your Money

How can I manage my account online?

You have access to helpful online resources that let you find out information about your FSA through the same website you use to manage your health plan. Just log in and click the Spending tab to quickly and easily view FSA information and use your account anytime, from any computer or mobile device.  You can:

  • View your FSA balance
  • Review your most recent transactions and payments
  • Enter an online expense and upload receipts electronically
  • Sign up to receive email alerts about account transactions
  • View your processed debit card transactions, if applicable

How can I get paid back for health claims?

You can go on the member website to see medical and prescription claims processed by your health plan. Go to the Claims tab, under Claims and Payments, to find a claim you want to pay. Click Pay Claim and follow the instructions.

How can I get paid for other eligible expenses?

If you paid for a medical expense out of your own pocket, check to make sure it is on the list of covered services. Then you can go on the Spending tab and submit it to be paid back through your FSA. Click on Submit New Claim and follow the instructions.

If you are being paid back by check, your expenses must total at least $25. If you have an approved expense for less than $25, the system will hold it until you have enough claims submitted to total at least $25. There is no minimum for direct deposit payments. Your direct deposit payments will be issued at any dollar level.

Can I get my FSA money through direct deposit?

Yes. If you sign up for direct deposit, you will get a fast and secure payment into your own bank account. Otherwise, it will take longer to get a check in the mail. Make sure to sign up for direct deposit on your member website. On the Spending page, click on the Spending Account Settings link, and then click on the Edit Direct Deposit button to enter your bank information. You’ll need your financial institution routing number and your account number.

Why do I need to send documentation of my expenses?

The Internal Revenue Code (IRC) requires that you use your FSA only for eligible expenses. You may need to provide documents to prove that your medical claim is an eligible expense before you are paid back from your FSA. You can upload these receipts to your member website when you submit a claim, or when you get a request for documents.

Why did I get a letter asking for debit card receipts?

The IRC requires that all transactions be verified. Usually, when you use your debit card to pay a medical expense, verification occurs automatically. But sometimes there’s not enough information available through the electronic transaction to prove that the expense is eligible under your plan. That’s when you receive a letter requesting additional information about your health expense purchase.  You just need to respond by attaching a proper receipt or document to the claim. 
And it’s best to do it quickly, as you will receive a follow-up letter if you don’t respond. Your debit card may be deactivated until the information is received, as all FSA plans require that expenses are verified to make sure they comply with the IRC.

What kind of documents do I need to upload as receipts?

Not all receipts can be used. You can’t use credit or debit card receipts, canceled checks or medical statements. Here is what the IRC allows:

  • Copy of Explanation of Benefits (EOB) or Plan Activity Statement
  • Copy of detailed receipts from the provider with the:
  • Date of service or purchase
  • Service type or product name  
  • Amount charged to patient
  • Doctor or service provider name

Some products and services require a letter of medical necessity from a doctor, such as massage therapy, a diet or exercise program. (Members should always keep their original receipts.)

What should I know about my FSA debit card?

Your debit card should only be used to pay for expenses that are eligible and covered by your FSA.

  • You will be mailed one debit card.
  • You can request up to three cards for your dependents that are 18 years or older.  
  • You can get three more cards reissued in case of loss or theft, for either you or your dependents.

Each member has their own card number. If one member’s card is lost/stolen or suspended, other family members’ cards will not be affected.

Check the Resources tab for more information on debit cards.

Why did I get a PIN?
All spending account debit card holders have the option to select either debit or credit when using their cards at the point of sale. One PIN will be mailed to you, the cardholder. You can share this PIN with your spouse or dependents since the same PIN can be used for all cards associated with your account. You can also reset your PIN on your member website.

Can I withdraw cash using my debit card?
No, debit cards and PINs cannot be used to withdraw cash at ATMs or at the point of sale.

What do I do if my debit card is lost or stolen?
Report a lost or stolen debit card immediately; report it through your member website or by calling Member Service. We’ll get a new card to you as quickly as possible. If one member’s card is lost/stolen or suspended, other family members’ cards will not be affected. 



Highmark Health Services YouTube Channel Highmark Health Services Facebook


Quick Start Guide

Eligible Health Care Expense List




®Highmark is a registered mark of Highmark Inc.

© 2015 Highmark Inc. All Rights Reserved

® Blue Cross, Blue Shield and the Cross and Shield symbols are registered service marks of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association, an association of independent Blue Cross and Blue Shield Plans.

Important Legal Information: Health care benefit programs are issued or administered by Highmark Blue Cross Blue Shield, Highmark Coverage Advantage, Highmark Health Insurance Company, Highmark Select Resources or Keystone Health Plan West, independent licensees of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association, an association of independent Blue Cross Blue Shield plans. Information on this website is issued by Highmark Blue Cross Blue Shield on behalf of these companies, which serve the 29 counties of western Pennsylvania.

We are committed to providing outstanding services to our applicants and members. If you require special assistance, including accommodations for disabilities or limited English proficiency, please call us at 1-800-876-7639 or TTY at #711 to receive assistance free of charge.

This site works best if viewed with the latest version of Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, or Safari browsers. For the best performance and security, always keep your web browser up-to-date.